Podcast     Twitter     Facebook     Xbox 360 Deals     Playstation Deals     Nintendo Deals     PC & Mobile Deals     All Latest Deals 

Last visit was: It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Xbox Game Pass
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:44 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Benjo321
PSN Gamer Tag: Benjo321
Twitter Username: Benjo321
What do people make of this?
In case you don't know it's Microsoft Netflix-like subscription service that gives access to a library of games.

I know it's been around for a little while but the recent news that all first party Microsoft games will launch on there day and date with a retail release is quite interesting.

It sounds like a pretty good deal to be able to get Sea of Thieves, Crackdown and then whatever Forza, Halo or Gears of War games get released.

Seems like quite a bold move and could usher in the next era of how we get our games. Personally, I still like to touch something physical if I've bought it, call me a dinosaur but that's the way I am! I just don't get the same feeling when playing a PS+ game. A bit like piracy in that there's no real commitment to play it and find enjoyment, just throw it away and try something else. Just feel like it devalues everything.

Quite an interesting piece from the games retail side too here: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... s-outright

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Xbox Game Pass
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:41 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Ugly Geezer
PSN Gamer Tag: UglyGeezer
Twitter Username: UglyGeezer
Steam Tag: UglyGeezer
It's all very interesting.

In Xbox's defence, it's a clever future-proofing tactic. A download/Streaming only scenario is the future but is the future now?

I've always wondered where and how retailers would fit into that future - my thinking being that they're an integral part of the industry and play their part in games promotion. Now some Independant UK Retailers are refusing to Stock Xbox's are they shooting themselves in the foot?

It also ties in with the rumours resurfacing that Microsoft is looking to buy one of the big-boys and the whole Microsoft Buying EA Rumours.

As far-fetched and horrendous as that sounds, seeing the way their business model seems to be going, it does make sense. They seem to be now laying solid foundations for the future, but they're missing some studios.

Online Profile E-mail Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:47 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: The Disco Bison
Twitter Username: cakeboy79
Steam Tag: themanytentacles
Game Center Tag: themanytentacles
I've subscribed to it for the lat year or so, for £7.99 a month I think it's amazing value.

It helps that I can basically pick a game and download it within a few minutes as I'm on fibre, so I guess if your broadband isn't that quick it might not be so good as you'd be waiting a lot longer. I think the longest game has taken to download is about half an hour.

The choice isn't massive at the moment, but there's always something new to try and as a result I've played some stuff I would never have bothered with before - I'm particularly looking forward to Sea of Thieves on there, but I guess the price might rise a bit then at which point I might take an other look at it. If it stays below a tenner then I'll probably keep it.

There's certainly nothing comparable on the PS4, and with this, EA Access and Boomerang I haven't bought a game in months. This doesn't bother me anyway as I normally trade games in pretty soon after finishing them or when my attention span goes so I'm not a collector, but again if you want something to touch and put on your shelf this probably isn't for you.

I think retailers are shooting themselves in the foot by not stocking the console - if I go somewhere to buy something and they don't have it, then I'm less likely to go back there for anything else and it's not exactly like the physical side of sales is going to disappear - it's only Microsoft's first party games that are coming to Game Pass, not everything

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:03 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Ugly Geezer
PSN Gamer Tag: UglyGeezer
Twitter Username: UglyGeezer
Steam Tag: UglyGeezer
It's fantastic value and as Disco aid, I don't think it will last at that price.

It is the start of an inevitable and I think horrid future.

Online Profile E-mail Personal album