Podcast     Twitter     Facebook     Xbox 360 Deals     Playstation Deals     Nintendo Deals     PC & Mobile Deals     All Latest Deals 

Last visit was: It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017 Game of the Year Chat
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:53 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Benjo321
PSN Gamer Tag: Benjo321
Twitter Username: Benjo321
What do people make of the state of gaming this year, any big standouts or let downs?

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:44 am 

I feel like I've lost out a bit not having picked up a Switch but there's been some decent games outside of that console that have impressed me ...

NieR Automata was an absolute joy early on in the year, had my reservations about going back to the series after falling madly in love with the original Nier. While being quite different it had a lot of interesting things to say, and some wonderful nods to the original in later playthroughs. And oh my god the music is simply divine, cost me a near fortune to import it from Japan (only for it to be stealth-released a couple of weeks later in Europe) but no regrets at all. I even got a bit addicted to watching people stream blind playthroughs just so I could see their reactions to key moments.

Horizon Zero Dawn - So glad Guerilla stepped away from Killzone, this felt like a real breath of fresh air. Graphically stunning with some beautiful art direction and a varied combat system that made for a wonderfully fun playground when you embrace experimentation.

Hellblade -Senua's Sacrifice - Only just plucked up the courage to play this after buying it day one. But I really admire the mental health angle and their ambition to try something different.

Disappointments...
Persona 5 - Bored me from start to finish. Actually didn't quite finish it, killed the final boss but had a week of walking round talking to all the characters to do before triggering the ending and it just broke me. Looks gorgeous and disgustingly stylish but it didn't really add much over P4. The music was nowhere near as good either, and when your repeatedly grinding the same dungeon the same music gets hella annoying.

Destiny 2 - I fucking love Destiny and the way it feels to play but it really annoys me what they've done with the sequel. So many regressions to the mistakes they made with the Destiny 1 launch and add to that an eco system with an over reliance on grinding for tokens to redeem lucky-dip engrams. Feels like it really needed another 6-12 months in the oven and Bungie are doing a really terrible job of talking to their community (and even talking to each other in the studio it seems). The first DLC felt waaay too soon, especially given the PC release 6 weeks earlier making a lot of the content obsolete, not to mention the numerous issues and complaints about the endgame that were mounting and not really being addressed by the DLC.

I think the shitstorm about lootboxes is a good thing. Obviously I'd rather it wasn't a thing in games at all but the big outcry can only be a good thing for consumers going forward and hopefully some of the bigger publishers calm the fuck down trying to squeeze microtransactions into every damn game. It's the future generations I really worry about though, all these gambling-like mechanics in games that appeal to young kids. They're gonna be fucked when they're older and I think governments around the world need to start stepping in to ask serious questions of the games industry.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 2017 Game of the Year Chat
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:35 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: bwortang
PSN Gamer Tag: bwortang
Twitter Username: bwortang
Steam Tag: bwortang
Gaming budget this year has been shot to pieces, where previous years the ‘Gotta catch them all’ was real this year purchases haven’t been so great, a few games I’ve decided to take on the stories using YouTube walkthroughs instead, so at least I get to experience the tales.

Horizon Zero Dawn was my game of the year, I’d like to pick up the DLC in the New Year, the combat was fantastic and taking out robot dino’s setting up traps made it even better, fantastic story that I actually got to the end of as well, and that’s a rarity.

Cup Heads looks amazing but was very frustrating and gave you that good ol day’s way of gaming, the art style was fantastic and felt fresh.

Evil Within 2 was a cracking story, - this was one I followed from RadBrad’s channel on the YouTube, I caught his play through of the first, this started off open world but then corridorred into a linear story line, I’m no good with horrors so walkthroughs suit me well in this genre. This had some great deaths and ideas and some bizarre horror concepts.

Resident Evil 7 was another, absolutely horrific start and mostly felt completely claustrophobic with equal measures of grossness and Saw style horror scenes, would have given me night terrors if I’d have played this and VR is a complete no no.

Wolfenstein – the final of my walkthroughs, this looked absolute carnage and the storyline was as mental as I’ve tried to follow, a complete pull on your emotions that I can remember experiencing for a very long time, combat looked mental and tight. This probably would have rivalled HZD if I had it in my collection.

Worst purchase of the year for me would have to be Project Cars 2, why I didn’t wait and divert the funds elsewhere I’ll never know, the car set up were wrong from the start and as far as I know your setup won’t even save now, and it didn’t look like any improvement over the first game, I’ve probably given it an hour, 2 max? And probably won’t be going back.

Although I never played Mass Effect Andromeda it was on my purchase list until all the feedback became apparent so I ended up backing away, I still might give it a look when it gets to dirt cheap, is it on EA Access yet?

Games that I’ve missed that are on the radar are Ghost Recon Wildlands, Divinity Original Sin 2 on the PC and any of the Switch big hitters, still slightly burned with the Wii U and can’t justify a Switch, but would like to see what all the fuss is about with Zelda and & Super Mario Odyssey & also having the flexibility to game when the main TV is being used, downside being I still have 2 small children who have managed to smash 2 Kindles in the last two weeks.

As far as 2018 goes the only game on my radar so far is Far Cry 5, should probably get around to starting 4 at some point, eh!

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:17 am 

Highscores: 5
Xbox Gamer Tag: mannymann44
PSN Gamer Tag: mannny44
Twitter Username: mannymann
I only bought 2 games this year. Fifa 18 (mainly for my boys) and Destiny 2.

Fifa is just Fifa, nothing to much changes.

Destiny 2 as Ben mentioned, seems to have reverted back to the grind it out madness that made me hate the original. I realise there needs to be some element of it but to just have to rinse and repeat the same missions or public events for not a lot of gains is boring. I bought the DLC but haven't even played it since my PS+ expired.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:36 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Ugly Geezer
PSN Gamer Tag: UglyGeezer
Twitter Username: UglyGeezer
Steam Tag: UglyGeezer
You know what, I can't even remember what I played this year.

I will get back on this.

Offline Profile E-mail Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:52 pm 

I did pick up and play through What Remains of Edith Finch over Christmas. Very interesting game from the people that did The Unfinished Swan. Whilst that one was a bit one note, this is crammed with interesting and unique ideas that mix up what you're doing, even though it's 'just a walking simulator' type of game.

The concept may seem a bit morbid (going round a house and discovering how members of the Finch family died), but there's a lot of joy and playfulness about the stories and it really does give lots of things to think about. It's a really well crafted game and you certainly can tell how much love the devs poured into this.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:39 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: MakingUpNumbers
PSN Gamer Tag: MakingUpNumbers
Twitter Username: MakingUpNumbers
Steam Tag: MakingUpNumbers
Game Center Tag: MakingUpNumbers
So, yes, Horizon Zero Dawn for me. Absolutely gorgeous to look at, great story, interesting combat with lots of scope to find your own approach, great voice acting from Ashly Burch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashly_Burch, my first platinum on PS4. Looks like it was a labour of love really. Looking forward to more from this series (I hate the word "franchise".) The photo mode has lead some some really impressive visuals, there's a Facebook group full of it. A female main character in a game that wasn't focused on eye-candy value, though Aloy is very pretty mind you.

Wolfenstein was actually quite good, the story, characters and environments, if not the slightly tedious slog of the game play at times. It seemed very hard, maybe I'm just useless. Sad that a game about shooting Nazi's should be contentious, but I guess it was also flying it's political colours quite prominently, a red rag some some in the US these days....

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:10 am 

Don't have any games of the year as i bought a few but got bored quickly.
I don't know what it is but i find big games such a daunting task...
I'm in for the quick fix with BF4 more than anything else these days.
I still have not finished Skyrim Ghost Recon or GTA 5 as i just get overwhelmed.... :-?
Finished The Division again as the story is relatively short.
Bought Assassins Creed not really to play it but to add to my collection :roll:
Didn't bother buying a 4K TV for my xbox one X as feel i wont be in front of the tv much this year.
PUBG was bought but only played a little....
I dunno guys i must be getting old.
BF4 on Xbox and PS4 both using PSVR on the big 'cinema screen' is my thing for now. --@

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:19 pm 

2017 GOTY for my personal taste was Divinity: Original Sin 2. I've played that for 200+ hours easily and still not nearly explored everything the game offers. The game is a masterpiece in my book.

Offline Profile E-mail