Podcast     Twitter     Facebook     Xbox 360 Deals     Playstation Deals     Nintendo Deals     PC & Mobile Deals     All Latest Deals 

Last visit was: It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Frugal Fit Club
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:55 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: JEZ Blues
PSN Gamer Tag: jeblues
Twitter Username: Ian_Lennard
Steam Tag: JEBlues
Being me I have just created the frugal fit club on Strava

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:05 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Benjo321
PSN Gamer Tag: Benjo321
Twitter Username: Benjo321
MakingUpTheNumbers wrote:
Just joined Stava, seems I can import my old runs from Runtastic. Looks s but bare compared to Runtastic though, doesn’t track mileage on your shoes!

If you have to (or prefer to) use different running apps, you can use Fitness Syncer to sync your runs between different apps. Personally I use MapMyRun as it works with my cheapo watch for heart rate tracking and use that to sync to Strava and Smashrun

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:30 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: MakingUpNumbers
PSN Gamer Tag: MakingUpNumbers
Twitter Username: MakingUpNumbers
Steam Tag: MakingUpNumbers
Game Center Tag: MakingUpNumbers
So did my first run with Strava. Umm, underwhelmed slights.

- Only one decimal place on the kilometre tracker, so your progress appears slow.

- No pace announcements, Runtastic tells you how you’re doing every kilometre, elapsed time, current pace etc.

- No UI in the app for shoe tracking.

I get the feeling this is a cycling oriented app that’s added running as a sideline, UI looks a lot like a dashboard, and the kilometre measure oriented to an activity that generates a lot more of them.

The social bits look good though, definitely richer or at least more active than Runtastic. Just that the core functionality is weaker.

Last edited by MakingUpTheNumbers on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:31 am 

Benjo321 wrote:
If you have to (or prefer to) use different running apps, you can use Fitness Syncer to sync your runs between different apps. Personally I use MapMyRun as it works with my cheapo watch for heart rate tracking and use that to sync to Strava and Smashrun

Ah, that could be the answer, I’ll check that out.

Doesn’t appear to do Runtastic :-(

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Frugal Fit Club
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:55 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: bwortang
PSN Gamer Tag: bwortang
Twitter Username: bwortang
Steam Tag: bwortang
I've heard a good app to use to pass the time is the Zombies Run one, think it is free to play in some modes but can cost around £3.80?, currently I've seen they have some free Call of Duty Zombie missions, you know, just in case Eye of the Tiger on repeat is no longer effective.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:41 am 

So did my first run with Strava. Umm, underwhelmed slights.

- Only one decimal place on the kilometre tracker, so your progress appears slow.

- No pace announcements, Runtastic tells you how you’re doing every kilometre, elapsed time, current pace etc.

- No UI in the app for shoe tracking.

When you go to record activity there should be a settings button where you can enable audio cues every 1 or half kilometer.

Not sure what the decimal place issue is, it'll just be choosing to round to the nearest 100m rather than 10m. I try and avoid constantly look at my phone for pace / distance updates personally, and if you're doing really short circuits where you're tempted to compare each lap, maybe look at doing a longer more unique circuit. Strava does has segments, so if you do the same lap a lot maybe look at creating a segment of 1 lap and it'll break it down and compare each lap (open your run on the website, click the wrench, create segment). If you get out and about on the roads you'll soon find other people have created segments all over the place, so it's a good way to get PBs on repeated runs without the hassle of setting up segments yourself.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:19 pm 

Benjo321 wrote:
...Strava does has segments, so if you do the same lap a lot maybe look at creating a segment of 1 lap and it'll break it down and compare each lap (open your run on the website, click the wrench, create segment).

Ah, thought there'd be more to it than meets the eye, I'll have a fiddle with that and see if I can't get my head around it.

Not currently focusing on speed, just distance/stamina.

I'm about to head out for another Lunch Time run, it seems like the aches in my Achilles calms down after a good rest day, so I'm planning on a nice unambitious 6 or 7 laps.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:26 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: bwortang
PSN Gamer Tag: bwortang
Twitter Username: bwortang
Steam Tag: bwortang
I never got to grips with Strava directly and the time recently I used it, it only logged my start and my end point when I started /stop my phone. I use the tomtom sport watch which links straight to strava, sometimes I think it updates my run before the tomtom is done!

next year I want to get my gear upgraded, need a new pair of runners and also dreaming into a Garmin 235.

picking up the c25k again at week 6, my knees are f***** at the moment, even giving it a week or 2's rest isn't cutting it so just going to battle on through, when I get back up to 5k regular runs I'm sure it will drop off, and changing the trainers too which I'm hoping to do.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:09 pm 

Ah, thought there'd be more to it than meets the eye, I'll have a fiddle with that and see if I can't get my head around it.

Another gripe, you have to take photos externally to the app, rather than in-app, unlike Runtastic.

A small thing, but if other apps can, why not Strava. Might be the framework/platform they've developed it with, as compared to Runtastic.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:48 pm 

Kinda hoping there's a top of the range Garmin watch going very cheap on the Amazon Black Friday deals. The only thing my cheapo Mi Fit 2 watch is good for is heart rate and it appears to be flaky and unreliable even at that

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next