Podcast     Twitter     Facebook     Xbox 360 Deals     Playstation Deals     Nintendo Deals     PC & Mobile Deals     All Latest Deals 

Last visit was: It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Frugal Fit Club
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:38 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Benjo321
PSN Gamer Tag: Benjo321
Twitter Username: Benjo321
Well, it's gotten to that stage where I feel the need to try and get fit. I know a few of you are into running and all that so any tips would be very much appreciated. I'm not horrendously overweight, but barely exercise bar the occasional walk. I did used to play a lot of squash but the impact on my fucked up wrist was getting too much to carry on. And I did a fair bit of swimming more recently which was always good but I hit a plateau pretty quickly and it felt pretty pointless carrying that on (and it was getting a bit pricey).
So I just want to start feeling a bit more lively and lose a bit off my beer gut whilst being as frugal as possible!

I'm aiming to give the Couch to 5k plan a go, so any advice on equipment and apps or things I should be measuring to gauge my progress? I'm not too interested in score chasing and social media leader board guff, but appreciate that some kind of motivation besides my terrible willpower may stop me from losing interest.
So lend me your sage-like advice 8-)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Frugal Fit Club
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:45 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Ugly Geezer
PSN Gamer Tag: UglyGeezer
Twitter Username: UglyGeezer
Steam Tag: UglyGeezer
This makes me very happy!

I used the NHS Couch to 5k Podcast and cannot recommend it enough.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/c ... -plan.aspx

The music is somewhat naff, but it gets you through. The woman speaking will be your friend, seriously.

A pair of running shoes is what you need. Don't wear any fashion ones with no bounce. If you don't have a pair and are looking to buy, nudge me and I will help you find a cheap pair.

Take it slowly is my tip. Trust in the plan - it's so well thought out. It constantly challenges and it's perfect. It really is. Don't get daunted by looking at what it's asking of you next week, just get through what it's telling you to do this. Before you realise it, you will be 5k fit.

Let us know how you get on mate 8-)

Offline Profile E-mail Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:11 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: bwortang
PSN Gamer Tag: bwortang
Twitter Username: bwortang
Steam Tag: bwortang
That's great to hear Benjo, I really need to jump back on the running wagon again, Over the year I lost nearly 3 stone just by running and not drinking, now that polarity has reversed so I should probably fix it...

Everything Lee has mentioned is spot on, I went for a paid for App rather than NHS but they both follow similar training patterns.

Like Lee said, follow the plan, if you feel the level is below at the start still stick with it, the science is doing it's work. I wouldn't worry about stretches to start with as the App gives you a 5 minute warm up and cool down walk during the session, it's worth looking into later on down the line to avoid injury when you hit the 5k+

For my first pair of trainers I just bought some that were thick soled and had plenty of ankle support, worth giving Lee a shout if you want some help, getting the right trainers for your pronation is more important later on if you continue past the app.

I always worked on a 3k lap around my local area, it's a bit tricky to start with as not knowing your pace it's hard to guesstimate where you'll end up at the end of the session, but you can work that out as the course progresses.

For tracking I'd suggest using Strava, you can manually add your runs onto there if you haven't got a method to measure it, I know you weren't looking for score chasing, but a good run can give you a real high confidence boost and having the Kudos support from elsewhere does give you that warm feeling, it's not competing against others, so don't worry about what times other people are getting.

The rest day is as important as the running days, try to make sure you get that in rather than running Mon/Tue/Wed, also if you do get an injury or pain or a cold I would suggest stopping and recovering before starting again, especially with a injury, running through the pain won't end well!

IF you get the running bug, (it's highly contagious) we can then talk about the Garmin's the hill climbs trail running and the fartleks..

Enjoy Benjo!, and keep us updated!

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:08 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: MakingUpNumbers
PSN Gamer Tag: MakingUpNumbers
Twitter Username: MakingUpNumbers
Steam Tag: MakingUpNumbers
Game Center Tag: MakingUpNumbers
UglyGeezer wrote:
This makes me very happy!

I used the NHS Couch to 5k Podcast and cannot recommend it enough.

I'm planning to do this, need to get off my butt and actually start.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:59 pm 

Cheers for the tips and words of encouragement. I do worry about all the big fuck-off hills near me, so think I'll have to drive somewhere a bit flatter where I can do a more easy going circuit. Got those NHS Podcasts ready to go when I start next week.

MakingUpTheNumbers wrote:
I'm planning to do this, need to get off my butt and actually start.
Come join me Angus, would be good if someone else is sharing my pain and we can egg each other on :-D

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Frugal Fit Club
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:45 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: JEZ Blues
PSN Gamer Tag: jeblues
Twitter Username: Ian_Lennard
Steam Tag: JEBlues
If you struggle with couch to 5k I would suggest the Jeff Galloway method of run/walk and you could look for your nearest parkrun as they are on Saturday, free and you can always get support and advice from the people there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:56 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: bwortang
PSN Gamer Tag: bwortang
Twitter Username: bwortang
Steam Tag: bwortang
ah man, I'd love a hill every now and again, it's all flat where I am so I would need to drive to find one, they are great for building fitness.

Yea Parkrun is a good shout too once you've hit your 5k distance, so well run and amazingly free, it's the Frugal deal of the century!

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:25 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: MakingUpNumbers
PSN Gamer Tag: MakingUpNumbers
Twitter Username: MakingUpNumbers
Steam Tag: MakingUpNumbers
Game Center Tag: MakingUpNumbers
So, finally got round to starting the Couch to 5k, second run of first week done.

So far so good, but my legs are letting me know I've been putting them to use....

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:19 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Ugly Geezer
PSN Gamer Tag: UglyGeezer
Twitter Username: UglyGeezer
Steam Tag: UglyGeezer
Any 'normal' muscle aching/soreness is new muscle tissue building up, embrace it! Well done guys!

Offline Profile E-mail Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:34 am 

Gratz Angus.

I picked up an annoying calf injury warming down from my last run in week 2, so I can only concur about the going slow and taking it very easy. I really thought I was but apparently not :-(

I've just been out again after giving it 5 days rest and felt ok. Was just repeating the week 2 run again (very very slowly) as I didn't want to over-do it by cranking it up to the next level just yet.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next