Podcast     Twitter     Facebook     Xbox 360 Deals     Playstation Deals     Nintendo Deals     PC & Mobile Deals     All Latest Deals 

Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PC to PS3 remote play
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:27 pm 

Highscores: 26
There was a dodgy way to do this a while back until a PS3 firmware update locked it out. Anyway, I was bored earlier & decided to charge my PSP up just for the sake of it. I noticed that the remote play wouldn't work so connected it to the the PS3 to set it up. That's when I noticed a new PC option. Anyway, to get to the point, the 3.30 firmware allowed new Sony Vaio users to connect to their PS3 via Remote Play. The nice people on the Internet have removed Sony's restrictions and if you take a look >>here<< you can get the stuff to allow other PCs to it too. Unfortunately you'll need Windows 7 on your PC so I'll probably not bother, I have 7 on my desktop, but it's my netbook running XP that I was more interested in using it with. I'll keep an eye on this as the unofficial way used to work with XP. I just thought I'd share this as it sounds quite handy. Good luck.

Offline Profile E-mail Personal album  

Post subject: Re: PC to PS3 remote play
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:43 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: it
PSN Gamer Tag: to
Twitter Username: you,
Interesting stuff, thanks for the headsup. That said my lappy sits 3 inches in front of my PS3, so I'll probably not bother :-)

I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart, and killed me.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:37 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: subforti
PSN Gamer Tag: subforti
Twitter Username: @mikejaydavies
Steam Tag: subforti
I'm going to try this out ASAP - could be brilliant next year when I'm at the house. Thinking of keeping the PS3 downstairs as a media centre for everyone, and I'll be on the floor above. If I could play games on my PC using the PS3 that would be amazing!

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:08 pm 

subforti wrote:
I'm going to try this out ASAP - could be brilliant next year when I'm at the house. Thinking of keeping the PS3 downstairs as a media centre for everyone, and I'll be on the floor above. If I could play games on my PC using the PS3 that would be amazing!

Well, if I had any PSOne games on there then I could... but the resolution my PC will offer to give out is really poor (although my internet connection will be just as big a factor. Shame.

Still, at least I can do it now if I needed to access something that was on there :roll:

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:31 am 

subforti wrote:
although my internet connection will be just as big a factor. Shame.

Won't it just go straight through your router to your PS3? I wouldn't have thought it would touch the Internet unless it had to?

My parents usually take my netbook with them when they go on holiday & this would enable my mam to get her fix of Eastenders (or whatever the hell it is that she watches) via Play TV.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:35 am 

Sanddancer75 wrote:
subforti wrote:
although my internet connection will be just as big a factor. Shame.

Won't it just go straight through your router to your PS3? I wouldn't have thought it would touch the Internet unless it had to?

My parents usually take my netbook with them when they go on holiday & this would enable my mam to get her fix of Eastenders (or whatever the hell it is that she watches) via Play TV.

It's connecting to the WLAN - I don't know. I'm quite far away from my PS3 at the moment so maybe the distance was causing bother. If you delve into the settings it starts to mention bandwidth and data speeds, so I assumed it was using the internet.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:56 pm 

subforti wrote:
It's connecting to the WLAN - I don't know. I'm quite far away from my PS3 at the moment so maybe the distance was causing bother. If you delve into the settings it starts to mention bandwidth and data speeds, so I assumed it was using the internet.

I think for wifi the PS3 uses 802.11g which is 54mps at best. If your PS3 if far away with obstructions then obviously that speed will drop. I don't know if there's any compression or rescaling of the video on the PS3 side of things, but I'd have thought that it should be enough to view whatever you'd normally be seeing on your TV screen?