Podcast     Twitter     Facebook     Xbox 360 Deals     Playstation Deals     Nintendo Deals     PC & Mobile Deals     All Latest Deals 

Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Does 3D in films work for you?
Yes, it can add on a new depth to the things we watch 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
No, the pricing is quite high and usually never good quality 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Not sure 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Is 3D really the future of cinema??
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:57 am 

PSN Gamer Tag: walcalr01
Twitter Username: walcalr01
Steam Tag: walcalr01
Not sure if this is just a rant (or a rave of madness) but lately I've gotten a bit sick of seeing the word "3D" everytime I go to the cinema as usually that means having to pay more to hopefully dodge and duck when you think something is flying at you from the screen. But lately its gotten a bit rubbish as most of time it doesn't really work or it becomes a distraction from the film your enjoying (or trying not to fall asleep to :lol: ).

I mean yes it works for The Hobbit or The Avengers and the occasional horror but there are certain films that didn't really need it, like the latest X-Men which felt more 2D than anything else and even the martial arts film Tom Yum Goong 2 (known here in the UK as The Warrior King 2) sadly has fallen under the 3D spell.

I wouldn't mind paying the extra cash as long as the tech actually works, which sadly most of the time it doesn't and you just end up with more money gone as you try to distract yourself from the thought "the 3D was quite shit wasn't it?".

My gaming youtube check it out: https://www.youtube.com/user/walcalr01/videos

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:05 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: JEZ Blues
PSN Gamer Tag: jeblues
Twitter Username: Ian_Lennard
Steam Tag: JEBlues
I've invested in 3d for the home and to be honest it is a fad that has died quickly, the movies are only being made in 3d now to justify the expenditure of changing the cinemas over to the format

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Is 3D really the future of cinema??
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:08 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: M1loMyage
PSN Gamer Tag: Milo_Myage
Twitter Username: Milo_Myage
The short answer is no.

It wasn't the future when in was invented in 1915, it wasn't the future in the early 50s, it wasn't the future in the mid 80s and it's not the future now.

3D is and will always be a gimmick. Audiences are tiring again leaving cinemas with the challenge of replacing its revenue.

A Canadian chain is experimenting with a premium price for the best seats, with the ones at the front or the edges being cheaper.

I like the idea but don't think it goes far enough. Ticket prices relative to time of day, seat position, how long the films been out, how many you buy should all be looked at.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:31 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Ugly Geezer
PSN Gamer Tag: UglyGeezer
Twitter Username: UglyGeezer
Steam Tag: UglyGeezer
If a movie is shot in real 3D and I'm going to see a mainstream film, I will. But of course it's a a gimmick.

It seems to have been good for cinema revenues and I don't think that's a bad thing. Does it stifle creativity? Maybe.

It seems to be sticking around though.

Offline Profile E-mail Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:14 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: JEZ Blues
PSN Gamer Tag: jeblues
Twitter Username: Ian_Lennard
Steam Tag: JEBlues
I read that a couple of years ago a cinema chain in association with a movie studio trialled an idea of letting punters purchase the movie they watched on the way out minus the cost of the ticket, now that would get me going more but as it is the cost is really silly round my way so in don't tend to go plus the hours that I work doesn't help either

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:47 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: bwortang
PSN Gamer Tag: bwortang
Twitter Username: bwortang
Steam Tag: bwortang
I'm quite lucky in the fact that the wife can't do 3D, so it's always 2D for me, what I have seen on my own is usually less than 10 examples in a film. What I have noticed though is certain scenes blatantly there for the 3D version, Thor an the latest 300 for example.

4K is where I think it's at, when the price drops an it's supported then I will jump on board. Interestingly I did read somewhere that there's not much need to go above 4k as the human eye becomes the bottleneck.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:40 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: dutch1585
PSN Gamer Tag: dutch1585
Twitter Username: dutch1585
In a cinema it can be brilliant if filmed in 3D and can really help you become immersed in the experience.
But at home it is a fad that has already passed by, I had a 3D TV when they first came out, it was great..but the novelty wore off and I doubt I have seen anything in 3D for well over a year now on it.

Currently own and play: PS4, PS3, PS2, PSOne, PSVita, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Mega Drive, Mega CD, Sega Game Gear, Sega Master System, Nintendo 64, Wii, Wii U and Xbox 360

Offline Profile E-mail